I have no idea what is up with the tiny picture on our blog. It's supposed to be of me and Jared in front of Big Ben. Maybe when I have time and I don't hate my computer I'll fix it.
It always amazes me that sometimes you get thrown into a situation that you don't expect, but it completely puts your life in perspective. Today I had one of my residents come into my office. She had been cut off from her General Assistance payments and didn't know how she was going to pay rent. I gave her some suggestions of people and organizations to contact that may be able to help her out. She was very grateful and we ended up having an hour long conversation about how God is faithful. She told me some of the terrible things she has gone through in her life, from being sexually abused as a child, to alcoholism, to being pregnant and homeless. And yet, all she could talk about is that the day she became a Christian was the greatest day of her life. And, although this is a hard time and she sometimes doubts that God will be there for her, she knows that she just needs to put her faith in Him.
It was so amazing that this person opened up to me so easily and we could have this conversation. It made me realize (yet again) that nothing in this life is for certain. And to see someone who has been through so much and has next to nothing, and yet has the strongest faith I'd ever seen, is a real inspiration. I confess that it humbled me grately. She said that she was the only one in her family who was a Christian and that even though her siblings have good jobs, she's the one who has more hope and peace than they have ever had.
I felt so honored that I got to have that conversation today.
No comments:
Post a Comment