Anyhow, the *reason* I had this going through my mind was because Jared and I, along with our friends Claudia, Kim, and David, went to Stonehenge to ring in the summer solstice! It was a lot of fun, despite the cold, the drunks, and the people who kept kicking Jared as he was laying on our blanket. We got there about 4 PM on Saturday afternoon and spent most of the time by the car, waiting to get into the parking lot. After that, we got to see the monument, which was a lot smaller than I thought it was going to be. This is the only time (other than the winter solstice) that they open it up and let people walk amongst the stones. It was so cool to go up and touch them, particularly because this was the first time any of us had seen it. We then made camp and waited for dawn. After a *cold* night, daylight approached. Sadly, it was a bit anticlimactic because it was completely cloudy and we didn't see the sun at all. All in all, a fun experience, but I don't think I'll do it again.
Enjoy some of our pictures! As always, click the image for a larger view.
Picnic in a field by our car
We got caught trying to sneak a bottle of wine past the check point behind a fence. No glass was allowed, so after we got caught we took to plan B, which was to uncork the wine and pour it into our plastic water bottles.
The gang aflutter with anticipation of seeing Stonehenge
Finally!
Jared told me to strike a pose...this is what I came up with...
Kim, Claudia, and I on the Slaughter Stone! (no slaughters actually took place there)
Us enjoying camp and our sqeezy bottle wine
Our friend Jon telling us all about the history and legends of Stonehenge
Dawn begins
Hugging the stones and daylight comes
Self portrait after the solstice is complete!
No comments:
Post a Comment